Friday, May 16, 2014

Psalm Two

Psalm 2
1 Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?
2 The kings of the earth rise up
and the rulers band together
against the LORD and against his anointed, saying,
3 “Let us break their chains
and throw off their shackles.”
4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.
5 He rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
6 “I have installed my king
on Zion, my holy mountain.”
7 I will proclaim the LORD’s decree:
He said to me, “You are my son;
today I have become your father.
8 Ask me,
and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.
9 You will break them with a rod of iron;
you will dash them to pieces like pottery.”
10 Therefore, you kings, be wise;
be warned, you rulers of the earth.
11 Serve the LORD with fear
and celebrate his rule with trembling.
12 Kiss his son, or he will be angry
and you and your ways will be destroyed,
for his wrath can flare up in a moment.

Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
I am reminded this morning that the Lord sit’s enthroned above all earthly kings and kingdoms, and though we may conspire and make great and mighty plans, it is the Lord who has the final say. He will choose whom he will choose and bless and curse those he chooses to bless and curse.

There is comfort in this as we face the magistrates of this world with our ways that may be different than the ways of this world. They may expect things from us that our faith will not allow us to give them, and so we stand with our understanding of scripture and our obedience to our king. Even though we may suffer for our belief, our God stands above all earthly kings and rulers. There is our hope.

“Kiss his son, or he will be angry
and you and your ways will be destroyed,
for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.”

He seems a quick tempered God here, but perhaps where it involves his son he is very sensitive. His wrath can flare up quickly for those who refuse to love His son. I realize that in this passage it refers to Gods man in place for that time, but perhaps it translates down through history and time to be applicable to his son, Jesus Christ as well. Indeed blessed are those who take and find refuge in him, rather than mock him or hate him.

Blessed indeed are we.
“Father I see that your love for the Son is great and you have very little patience for those who mock your son. That manner of love is swift and jealous and passionate. I lift up to you those of my friends who still prefer to mock you and hate you because of their own hurts and failures to choose love over pain and hate.
I desire to take refuge in you and in your provision for me for this day. Lead me in the ways I need to go today, and help me to be brave and fearless as you lead me, in spite of those who may think differently than I do about these things.
Lead, provide, and bless me as I draw near to you this day, and provide the same gifts for those who follow after me I pray.
Amen”

R.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry we have to use the Word Verification box. Just too much spam these days.

Your responses are welcome. Keep the conversation going.